Founded in August 1986 by Terrie Cowley and Sandra Geilfuss, both sufferers of TMJ disorders, the mission of The TMJ Association, Ltd. (TMJA) is to improve the quality of health care and lives of everyone affected by Temporomandibular Disorders. The TMJA achieves its mission by:
- Advocating for the needs of patients.
- Promoting awareness of TMD among the public, policymakers, basic and clinical research and health care communities.
- Encouraging basic and clinical research on TMD to provide greater understanding and safer and more effective methods of diagnosis and treatment, based on scientific evidence.
- Periodically convening international scientific meetings to explore new findings and recommend promising lines of research to further the understanding of TMD.
- Serving as a resource for the collection and dissemination of information on advances in research, treatment, insurance practices, patients’ rights, and legal and ethical issues.
- Communicating with elected officials, government agencies, professional organizations, community leaders and other policymakers concerning TMD issues.
- Benefiting from a prestigious Scientific Advisory Board for collaboration and consultation.
- Collaborating with other patient advocacy organizations whose members experience conditions that overlap with TMD.
The TMJ Association was organized under the laws of the State of Wisconsin and earned a 501(c)(3) status in December 1989. As a nonprofit organization, The TMJ Association established an all volunteer Board of Directors. The Board established an all-volunteer Scientific Advisory Board to provide technical insight into the complex issues addressed by the Association.
We invite you to learn more about us by clicking on the following links.